By Matt Quon and Jeff Brocklebank.
Today’s system software is a powerful tool, offering a wide range of features and applications. Many of the available systems integrate accounting, financial reporting, payroll, human resources and practice management, providing timely and relevant information to users. The variety of software options and features can be overwhelming, making it tough to choose the most strategic solution for your business.
When selecting and implementing new system software, it’s important to:
- Identify the core functions of each staff member who will be using the system and evaluate whether its features will increase their productivity and performance. You don’t want to invest significant time and capital to implement a system, only to realize later that it isn’t being used to its full potential.
- Identify the key performance measures and reports you would like the system to produce. Ideally, the program selected can produce accurate reports on demand.
- Involve key users across functions in the choice and implementation of the new system. Too often, only the IT and finance teams have a say. User buy-in is crucial for a successful launch.
- Anticipate the unexpected. A system implementation is an expensive, time-consuming exercise. Plan accordingly, keeping in mind that unanticipated difficulties, hiccups and frustrations are the rule, not the exception.
- Identify an appropriate time in the year to implement the new system. A lull in the business cycle would be ideal.
HOW WALSH KING CAN HELP
Many Walsh King clients have gone through significant system conversions. If you’re considering new system software or an upgrade to your existing program, contact us. We can offer advice and help with the implementation.
Posted in Seminars + Presentations
- Client News
- Estate Planning
- Industry News
- Seminars + Presentations
- Strategic Insights
- Success Stories
- Tax Legislation
- Tax Tips for 2016 Tax Year
- Tax Tips for 2017 Tax Year
- Tax Tips for 2018 Tax Year
- Tax Tips for 2019 Tax Year
- Walsh King
- Walsh King Company Culture
- Walsh King News
- Getting the Most out of a Business Purchase or Sale
- What I Learned During My First Three Months as an Articling Student
- Why Due Diligence Matters When Buying a Business
- A FEW FACTS ABOUT THE B.C. FILM INDUSTRY
- What the Employer Health Tax Means for Your Business
- 10 Study Tips for Surviving the Common Final Examination